Every year AFT Massachusetts awards thousands of dollars in scholarships to eligible high school seniors who are dependents of AFT Massachusetts members. AFT Massachusetts President Beth Kontos and Secretary-Treasurer Brant Duncan are thrilled to announce the recipients of the union’s 2021 Scholarship Awards.
The awards, named in honor of former AFT leaders Kathy Kelley, Albert Shanker and Sandra Feldman, and for long-time AFT Massachusettsfield representative Jay Porter, are awarded on the basis of a labor history exam administered by the Massachusetts AFL-CIO. The exam includes questions covering the history and structure of the labor movement in America, legislation affecting American workers, child labor laws, minimum wages, civil rights, safety and more, as well as a 500-word essay based on a current labor issue.
- Nathaniel White -- Holliston High School
- Joel Jancewicz -- Amesbury High School
- Emily Gross -- Boston Latin Academy
- John Caponigro -- Swampscott High School
- Leah Cahill -- Billerica Memorial High School
- Kevin Carpenter -- Tyngsborough High School
- Kevin Toler -- Quincy High School
- Matthew Malnati -- Billerica Memorial High School
- Matthew Garrott -- Bishop Feehan High School