Every year AFT Massachusetts awards thousands of dollars in scholarships to eligible high school seniors who are dependents of AFT Massachusetts members. AFT Massachusetts President Beth Kontos and Secretary-Treasurer Brant Duncan are thrilled to announce the recipients of the union’s 2022 Scholarship Awards.
The awards, named in honor of former AFT leaders Kathy Kelley, Albert Shanker and Sandra Feldman, and for long-time AFT Massachusetts field representative Jay Porter, are awarded on the basis of a labor history exam administered by the Massachusetts AFL-CIO. The exam includes questions covering the history and structure of the labor movement in America, legislation affecting American workers, child labor laws, minimum wages, civil rights, safety and more, as well as a 500-word essay based on a current labor issue.
Kathleen A. Kelley Scholarship Award
- Charles Kirby – St. Johns Prep High School
Sandra Feldman Scholarship Award
- Sara Chawkate – Tewksbury Memorial High School
- Abigail Wallace – Saugus High School
Jay Porter Scholarship Award
- Alexander Amaral – Bishop Fenwick High School
Albert Shanker Scholarship Award
- Cullum Burgess – Lowell High School
- Max Gregoire – Tyngsboro High School
- Keira Comtois – Chelmsford High School
- Richard Petruccelli – Boston Latin High School
- Maeve Gaffny – North Andover High School